Friday, December 14, 2012

The Next Big Thing 2: Electric Bugaloo

I got tagged again! Fellow erotic romance writer Lucy Pireel tagged me to participate in The Next Big Thing, in which I answer a handful of questions about a work in progress (my Next Big Thing). Then I'm supposed to tag four people, who continue the meme. I found two to tag, and here they are:

Jacques Gerard

Christopher Beck (link coming)

And here's my Next Big Thing:


What is the (working title) of your book?

Smart Phone (it's not the final title)

Where did the idea come from for the book?

I wondered what would happen if the FindPhone application on my husband's iPhone located my phone in a different dimension.

What genre does your book fall under?

Fantasy

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Jason Isaacs and Helen Mirren

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

George Randall's phone disappears, and when his wife uses the FindPhone app to locate it, it's behind their closet, where it couldn't possibly be, and when he finds out who is calling him and why, he realizes it would have been better for him to never have searched for the phone at all.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

I'm submitting it to an anthology call. Otherwise, I hope to see it published in a good magazine.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

It's not finished yet. I'm still working on the first draft.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Richard Matheson's "Long Distance Call" is the closest, but it's too different from my story. His story was made into the Twilight Zone episode "Night Call". "The Upper Berth" by F. Marion Crawford has a similar feel, although the stories are quite different.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

My husband. He found the FindPhone app. You use it to locate your phone if it's misplaced or stolen. Very handy thing to have. My imagination just took off.

What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

It's a short story, for one thing. It's creepy because it's something that's close to us all - our cell phones. Every time I pick up my phone and I see an unfamiliar number, I wonder where it came from. Sometimes I think it's best to not answer the phone at all when I see an unfamiliar number. And what if I misplaced my phone, my husband used the FindPhone app to locate it, and it was behind a closet or beneath the floor where it couldn't possibly be? How did it get there, and who or what put it there? And why?

No comments:

Post a Comment